The Southern Adirondack REALTORS® serves it’s members throughout the region who are building communities where they work, strengthening neighborhoods where they live, and ensuring economic vitality for the region by advocating to help your consumers reach the American Dream of home ownership and protect property owners rights. SAR has the ability to utilize Local, State and National Association support to mobilize members and address legislation that has an immediate or future impact on home ownership and the real estate industry. Our goals include keeping our members informed industry professionals.
Now more than ever, it is critical for REALTORS® across America to come together and speak with one voice about the stability a sound and dynamic real estate market brings to our communities. From city hall to the state house to the U.S. Capitol, our elected officials are making decisions that have a huge impact on the bottom line of REALTORS® and their customers. Through the support of REALTORS® like you, the REALTOR® Party represents your interests. Help protect your profession and your customers when a Call to Action is needed!
What is RPAC?
Since 1969, the REALTORS® Political Action Committee (RPAC) has promoted the election of pro-REALTOR® candidates across the United States. The purpose of RPAC is clear: voluntary contributions made by REALTORS® are used to help elect candidates who understand and support their interests. These are not members’ dues; this is money given freely by REALTORS® in recognition of the importance of the political process. The REALTORS® Political Action Committee and other political fundraising are the keys to protecting and promoting the real estate industry.
The simple truth is that decisions made by elected officials impact the business of our members. That makes it critical to elect candidates who understand the importance of owning, selling and investing in real property. This is what RPAC helps us do. RPAC and the REALTOR® Party work hand-in-hand to fight public policies that hurt the real estate business and to support those that enhance it. RPAC is not a charity. It’s a wise investment in the future of each and every real estate professional. Rather than “giving” money to political candidates, you are investing in your business and a commitment to preserving the future of our industry. You have insurance on your car, home and business office. Bad legislation passed by Congress, the state legislature, or city council could be just as catastrophic financially as the loss of any of your possessions by fire, theft or storm. RPAC helps elect officials at the national, state and local levels who support the free enterprise system and private property rights.
- NAR’s current Advocacy Agenda https://www.nar.realtor/political-advocacy/federal-advocacy/2019-advocacy-agenda
- NYSAR’s current Legislative Priority Agenda https://www.nysar.com/government-affairs/legislative-priorities
- RPAC is the only professional organization in the country organized for REALTORS®, run by REALTORS® and exists to promote issues important to REALTORS®
- RPAC is the #1 trade association Political Action Committee in the nation.
- RPAC provides financial support to lawmakers and candidates who understand and
- support private property rights and the real estate industry.
- RPAC allows REALTORS® to make sure their positions on real estate issues are heard and
- understood by public officials.
- Investments in RPAC are used to educate and elect lawmakers who support our issues.
What has RPAC done for me lately? 2018 Acheivements–
- At the state level, RPAC was instrumental in getting a new law on the books to require registration of Appraisal Management Companies (AMCs). In addition, RPAC successfully defeated several proposals: to increase statewide closing costs, to impose a “flip tax” in NYC, to expand the agriculture district notice, to increase the mansion tax in NYC and to require a licensee to write their real estate license number on every document requiring a signature during a closing.
- At the federal level, RPAC was instrumental in extending the National Flood Insurance program when it faced expiration, maintaining access to mortgage financing through Rural Housing Service loans, helping more First-time buyers to enter the market by altering credit scoring criteria and raising the FHFA national conforming loan limit beginning January 1, 2019.
What is RPAC working on in 2019?
Goals including fighting more closing cost hikes in New York, defending private property rights, maintaining consumer choice in the arena of possible fire sprinkler system mandates, securing a First-time homebuyers savings account program here in New York, enacting Co-op housing transparency and securing a long term solution to the National Flood Insurance Program, among others.
The REALTOR voice cannot be heard without your support! HOW CAN I HELP?
No investment in RPAC is too small. In fact, to be counted as an official RPAC Participant, the minimum investment is just $15.
There are several ways for members to invest in RPAC:
- Watch for the optional RPAC contribution line on your annual dues invoice
- Attend the SAR Holiday Gala & RPAC Fundraiser Auction on December 13th
- Participating in the RPAC Major Investor Installment Plan, giving members the flexibility of spreading out the RPAC investments over a 5 month span OR the Pay at you Go Major Investor Plan to pay incrementally throughout the year toward achieving Major Investor status by the end of the 2019 fundraising year.